I just realized that I don’t have a lot of chicken recipes here! I must remedy this with something oh so flavorful like chicken marinated in Tandoori spices, cashew butter, and greens. Then skewer it and roast it. I love skewers. I don’t know why meat pieces are more enjoyable on a stick as opposed to sitting on a plate. They just are! Especially when those meat pieces have soaked up the exotic Tandoori flavors and slathered in a creamy spicy sauce! Oh so good!
Perhaps I love skewered meats so much is because it reminds me of festivals and parties. Being portable, you may walk around absorbing the sights of your environment and chit chat with friends while nibbling a morsel of juicy marinated chicken. Well, except in Japan. It’s considered rude and disrespectful to the food if you walk around while eating. Of course, with something this juicy and saucy, you’d want to sit and savor every delicious bite!
I just adore marinated chicken. I also love that it’s so versatile and may absorb a variety of different flavors. This marinade is pureed bunch of greens, jalapenos, and peppers. I used creamy cashew butter in place of yogurt, but you most certainly use yogurt if you like. A portion of the marinade is set aside and made into a finishing sauce.
Extra cashew butter taste and spice!
- 2 lbs of Chicken Breasts
- ¼ cup of Ghee
- 1 small Sweet Onion, minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon of Ginger Root, minced
- 1 small Green Pepper, chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 3 cups of Fresh Spinach Leaves
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon of Zest
- 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Cilantro
- ¼ cup of Cashew Butter
- 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- ½ cup of Water
- 2 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil
- ¼ cup of the Reserved Green Puree
- 3 Tablespoons of Cashew Butter
- ½ teaspoon of Turmeric
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Heat a skillet to medium and add all the ghee.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, green peppers, and jalapeno and sauté for about a minute.
- Add the spinach leaves and continue to sauté until the leaves wilt.
- Transfer the skillet contents to a blender or food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, cilantro, cashew butter, spices, and water. Puree until smooth.
- Remove about ¼ cup of the puree to make the finishing sauce.
- Pour the marinade mixture over the cubed chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for a few minutes and add 4-5 chicken pieces.
- Dab the cooking oil over the chicken.
- Grill covered on each side for about 4-5 minutes, or Bake at 350F on a rack for about 15-20 minutes, until chicken temperature reaches 160F.
- Combine the ingredients for the extra sauce. Add enough water to make the sauce spreadable, about 2 Tablespoons. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Brush the sauce over the cooked chicken.
- Without the finishing sauce, the chicken will look kinda unappetizing, but will still taste great! The sauce will give it that pretty color.
- You may prepare the marinade the night before, add the chicken in the morning, and it will be ready to cook that evening.