My life as a navy brat means packing and moving fairly often, but I have deep roots in Minnesota. I never lived in Vikings territory, but been here so often that I feel like it’s a home. This last trip was especially joyous since we got together for a wedding! And a lovely wedding it was! It’s really a big family reunion whenever I go back there. Sooo many wonderful cousins! And we pretty much tear up whatever town we’re in. Always a good time!
Minneapolis is such a cool city, too. After the celebration, we had dinner at Murray’s where they had the most amazing meats and desserts. Bread pudding too! My mom is a huge fan of bread pudding, and it’s practically habit to order a plate wherever available. So of course I had to try it too! Didn’t matter how much wedding cake I had the night before, I’m on vacation! Ha!
Right now, with my head splitting in half, I feel like I could use a break from gluten (which has been a cause of bad headaches for me). But I still want some bread pudding…for breakfast! And fruity. I missed a “Farm-Share Friday” yesterday as I was on travel, but peaches and blueberries are in season and are just super yummy right now! So, it should make up for no FSF
I used my sweet potato buns for the bread and a coconut milk based custard for this Paleo bread pudding. I didn’t add a lot of honey because the fruit I had was very ripe and already sweet. Poaching the peaches in a little lemon juice and honey also made a yummy sweet sauce which is folded in with the custard and bread. Also the sweet potato buns have honey in them, so not a lot of added honey was needed. Though, feel free to add more an indulge your sweet-tooth!
I kinda like how the blue from the berries seeped into the bread to make it purple. Pairs nicely with the yellow peaches. Purple and yellow! Like a Minnesota Vikings’ treat! Oh the Vikings…when are they going to the Superbowl? Seems like they get so close many times but it never happens. We were in the Mall of America and a salesperson opened a Vikings umbrella inside the store, which freaked out a superstitious fan. Here’s hoping for a good season anyway!! I hate to see my family super sad during football season.
- 5 cups of cubed Sweet Potato Buns
- 1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 6 Eggs, room temperature
- 10 oz Sliced Peaches (about 2 cups from 4-5 peaches)
- ¾ cup Blueberries
- 3 Tablespoons of Raw Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the peaches, lemon juice, and honey in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until peaches are soft. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs.
- Gently heat the coconut milk in a saucepan until small bubbles form on the edge.
- Very slowly add the beaten eggs while whisking the mixture. Once combined, add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Fold in the peaches with its sauce and blueberries with the bread cubes. Pour in the egg and milk mixture and fold gently.
- Allow the bread to soak for a few minutes.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy with coconut or greek yogurt!
- No need to use a water bath if using an 8x8 inch or shallow pan.